Liquor Licensing

Getting the right advice on liquor licensing can mean the difference between the success or failure of a business in the hospitality industry.

A liquor licence is a permit to sell or serve alcohol. An appropriate Liquor licence with favourable conditions can significantly affect the profitability and value of a business.

In NSW, the Liquor Act 2007 (NSW) regulates and controls the sale and supply of alcohol and various aspects of the use of premises on which alcohol is sold or supplied.

Liquor Licences

Most businesses that sell or supply alcohol must have an appropriate liquor licence. The liquor licence required and its conditions will usually depend on:

  • the type of venue,
  • the way alcohol is to be served,
  • where alcohol is to be consumed,
  • whether or not there will be live music, and
  • whether the licence is to be for a one-off event, a temporary set of events or on a permanent basis.

Liquor Licence Applications and supporting Community Impact Statements, where necessary, should be carefully considered and prepared to avoid delays when being assessed by Liquor & Gaming NSW.

The types of liquor licenses available in NSW include:

  • Hotel licence,
  • Club licence,
  • Small bar licence (venues with less than 120 patrons),
  • Microbreweries and small distilleries licence (for drink on premises authorization),
  • On-premises licence (sale of alcohol for consumption with, or ancillary to, another product or service at the venue),
  • Packaged liquor licence (sale of take-away alcohol through a bottle shop, licensed venue or via home delivery by telephone, mail order or online),
  • Producer / wholesaler licence (such as brewers, winemakers or distillers),
  • Limited licence (infrequent or special event, single function or trade fair), and
  • Pop-up licence (small scale pop-up bars and events).

The conditions applicable to each type of liquor licence may also be varied to suit businesses.

How We Help

Our Business & Commercial Lawyers can help with any liquor licensing matter, whether large or small, including:

  • Advice regarding the various types of licence,
  • Applying for a liquor licence,
  • Advice regarding licence requirements and exemptions,
  • Review and preparation of Community Impact Statements,
  • Transfers or variations of existing licenses and removing liquor licenses,
  • Advising and representing clients in relation to complaints, offences and restrictions imposed on their licence,
  • Liaising with the Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority, Local Council, Licensing Police and other relevant bodies,
  • The preparation of Leases for licensed businesses, and
  • The purchase and sale of licensed premises, including hotels, restaurants, nightclubs and off-sale premises.

Who We Help

We can assist hotels, restaurants, small-bars, registered clubs and the various service providers that supply them, including food and liquor wholesalers, caterers and licensees.

Let us take care of the details
Call now to speak with a Liquor Licensing Lawyer

Get the
right advice.

Play Video

Key Practice Contact


Connect with Angus